This is my kind of making pasta in white sauce with few kids favorite veggies incorporated in it. Little one just showing his taste over pasta and this is a fusion mix of mac and cheese and white sauce recipe I would say. I am not completely using white sauce with flour, also usually add some fresh cheese, heavy cream and cheese powder to make it creamy and rich in taste. I too add seasoned salt that gives good flavor to the crunchy veggies. Here is the creamy pasta with white sauce recipe in detail. If you don’t have any of the ingredients mentioned like heavy cream or fresh cheese or cheese powder you can skip it.
Any variety Cooked Pasta – 2 Cups (I usually buy organic and sometimes whole wheat pasta and cook according to the packet instruction)
Mix of Finely chopped veggies and frozen – 1 Cup (I use capsicum, peas, corn and carrots mostly)
Italian Seasoning Mix – 2tsp (mix of dried herb parsley, basil, dill weed and red chili flakes)
Heavy Cream – 1/3 Cup or half and half (Optional skip it and replace it with 3 Tbsp Butter + 1 Tbsp APF/Maida)
All Purpose Flour/Maida – 2 Tbsp
Regular Milk – 1/2 Cup
Parmesan Cheese Powder – 2 Tbsp (Optional)
Pepper Powder – 1tsp
Mozzarella Cheese – 1/3 Cup (mix of sharp cheddar and Mozzarella works as well, you can skip it)
Spiced Salt – I use this salt and skip regular salt for the taste, its optional if you don’t have it.
- Cook the pasta as per package instruction , wash, drain and keep aside.
- In a wide pan add sliced capsicum, lengthy thin carrots, frozen peas and corn with a tbsp oil saute them covered with seasoned salt (optional) till they turn tender (say 5-7 mins approx.).
- Once done keep them away in a plate and to the same pan add butter and flour (if not using heavy cream) then fry it to till nice aroma attain.
- Once flour is fried add regular milk and bring it to boil.
- If using heavy cream then no need to fry the flour, to the same veggie sautéed pan add milk, heavy cream and flour together. whisk to remove lumps and bring it to boil.
- Once the sauce comes together add all the seasoning mix, sautéed veggies, pepper powder, optional cheese powder and stir all together.
- Once they reach nice thick creamy consistency add the shredded mozzarella cheese, cook for a minute or two till cheese melts, adjust salt if any and serve it hot.
- When you add capsicum and spiced salt you can skip red chili flakes as kids won’t tolerate too much spice.