navratri vrat, which is happening now ie Ram Navratri. For those who are not aware of Sabudana/sago, it’s a tiny pearl made of tapioca/yucca root and people use it more often during fasting time. During last october i
was invited for navratri pooja held at neighbors places. I liked this sabudana
khichdi which was kept in lunch to core. I immediately noted from friends how
it was made and from then during my monthly satyanarayana vrat i am making it
without fail. Feel free to
modify the ingredients mentioned here if you don’t takeany during vrat time. Happy
Sabudana -1.5 Cups
Whole Peanut – 1/3 Cup
Mix of Red and Green Chilis – 2-3 Numbers
Red Chili Powder – 1tsp
Curry Leaves – Few
Chana and Urad Dhal – 1 Tbsp
Salt and Oil – As Needed
Lemon Juice – Few Drops
Boiled Potato – 1 or 2 numbers
Cumin Seeds – 1tsp – to temper
- Soak Sabudana for 5 hours or overnight.
- Drain the water completely and keep aside.
- In a kadai/pan add raw peanuts, dry fry till the skins turn golden black spots and raw smell disappears.
- Allow to cool completely and remove the skin off and powder it coarse.
- In the same pan add few tsp oil, when it is hot allow cumin seeds to splutter.
- Add the dhal one by one and then add chopped green chilli and curry leaves.
- Saute everything well then add sabudana and cook for 3-5 minutes in medium flame.
- Now add red chili powder, boiled potato, coarsely ground peanut and salt.
- Allow them to cook for few more minutes.
- Add lemon juice before serving.