This melt in mouth Eggless Crescent sugar cookies /powder sugar coated shortbread from Greece are made for special occasions and festive Christmas season. I made it twice before posting here. First time I reduced the recipe to halve and second time i reduced the butter where original recipe calls for…After reducing the butter also these cookies were so delicious and melted in mouth. This is one among the 4 recipes sent by Swathi for baking partners challenge, thanks Swathi for this wonderful recipe, It just reminded the Indian bakery style cookies 🙂
Yields 40 – 45 Cookies aprox
Recipe Source :- Taste.com
AP Flour/Maida – 2 and 1/2 cups
Almond meal (ground almonds) – 1/2 cup
Butter – 250gms/2 Sticks/1 Cup (Softened) (I reduced to 3/4th Cup i.e 1 n 1/2 sticks)
Pure icing sugar – 2 n 1/2 Cups (Replace with 2 n 1/2 Cups Regular/Granulated sugar + (2 Tbsp+1tsp) Corn starch, blend well in mixie/food processor)
Vanilla extract – 2tsp
Baking powder – 1tsp
Orange Zest – Rind finely grated from 1 Orange (Refer Notes)
Milk – 2 Tbsp or more to attain dough consistency *
* If like to include egg then add 1 egg and skip milk for the above quantity.
Eggless Crescent Sugar Cookies Preparation
- Sift flour and baking powder, keep it in a separate bowl (Pic 1).
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, 1 cup icing sugar, vanilla and orange rind until pale and creamy (Pic 1& 2).
- Add milk/egg and beat until well combined.
- Add all purpose flour mixture in batches (Pic 2).
- Add almond meal and stir until dough comes together (Pic 2 n 3).
- Preheat the oven.
- Using 1 tablespoon dough per biscuit, place it on baking tray (Pic 3).
- You can line the baking tray with cookie sheet/parchment paper.
- Roll out into 8cm-long sausage shapes, roll it with your palms, center thick and two ends bit thin and slightly bend it to form crescent.
- Bend to form crescent shapes (Pic 3).
- Place on baking trays, allowing room for spreading.
- Bake at 320°F/150°C for 20 minutes or until light golden (Pic 4).
- Stand for 5 minutes on oven with door open until firm.
- Place remaining sugar in a bowl, coat warm biscuits, 1 at a time, in sugar (Pic 4).
- Place on a wire rack to cool (Pic 4).
- Sift any remaining icing sugar over biscuits when cool.
- Now its my daughter turn to play with powdered sugar 🙂