One fine day I started making Okra/Vendakkai Puli Kuzhambu for Saturday lunch. That time my hubby asked me to make chicken gravy when I was in the middle of making that veg curry. Suddenly I got an idea of mixing chicken in the same gravy and implemented it as well. It tasted heaven and I kept the suspense till H had his lunch. Like every men, he asked the dish name which is unusual in our home finally I explained it and asked to give a try. This is the story behind this gravy and not only him even kids liked this tangy gravy with ghee and white rice. Do give a try, I assure you like the taste to core :-).
Chicken – 1 lb (450gms)
Okra/Ladies Finger – 200gms
Onion – 2 Medium
Tomato – 1 Large
Garlic Cloves – 4-5 Medium Size
Tamarind – Small Lemon Size
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1tsp
Puli Kuzhambu Powder – 1 Tbsp (Homemade Powder)
Green Chili – 1 Number
Mustard – 1/4tsp
Fenugreek – 1/4tsp
Chopped Coriander Leaves – Few
Red Chili Powder – 2tsp or more
Turmeric Powder – 1/4tsp
Curry Leaves – Few
Oil – 4 Tbsp
Salt – As Needed
- Wash, Wipe/pat dry the ladies finger,chop as round slices and fry in oil till light brown or okra not sticking each other.
- Clean and cut the chicken in to cubes.
- Extract tamarind juice by soaking the tamarind in water for at least 30 mins.
- Finely chop the onion and tomato, keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan/kadai, add fenugreek and mustard seeds, when mustard splutters add garlic cloves.
- Wait till it turns light brown then add chopped onion.
- When onion turns golden brown add ginger garlic paste and saute till nice aroma attains.
- Then add chopped tomato, slit green chili, curry leaves and salt.
- Saute till tomato mashes well, now add turmeric powder, red chili powder and chicken pieces.
- Cook in medium flame by sautéing on and off for another 15 minutes or chicken cooked 50%.
- Now add fried okra,tamarind juice and enough water and cook till chicken and okra cooked completely.
- When the gravy starts thickening, mix the puli kuzhambu powder in 2 Tbsp of water and then add it to the boiling curry.
- Once you add the powder, it soon starts thickening more.
- Reduce the flame and cook in low/sim for another few minutes or till oil floats on top.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Goes very well with rice and tiffin varieties.
Never tried chicken in puli kuzhambu. loved the clicks.
different drooling recipe
Chicken and vendakkai..that is an interesting combo..
interesting idea okra with chicken….seems very delicious..
delectable,spicy and beautifully made curry…wish we could just gorge on this with rice now,thanks so much for sharing this dish 🙂
My mom cooks okra with mutton.. this curry also looks very yummy.
Hmmm..yummy chicken..Luks very hot n spicy ..
very unusual combo. looks tasty though
Oh! twist with chicken curry..looks really tempting and delicious.
oh yea chicken and okra is lovely combo!! Looks so spicy and tempting 🙂
Looks very yummy curry . will try dear
thats definetly an innovative curry.. 🙂