Ingredients for Phulka/Masala Chapathi
Whole Wheat Flour/Atta – 2 n 1/2 Cups
Red Chili Powder – 1-2tsp (Or Green Chilies – 2-3 Numbers)
Ajwain/Omam – 3/4tsp (you can use dry leaves powder) Cumin Seeds/Powder – 1tsp
Coriander Leaves – Few (Optional)
Garam Masala Powder – 1tsp (Optional)
Salt n Water – As Needed
How to make Phulka
- Mix all together (Pic 1) add water/whey/milk/yogurt if desired (I used water) to the dough and roll it to soft/smooth dough.
- Rest it covered for 30 minutes.
- After that make equal lemon size balls and roll it very thin (Pic 2).
- I preferred medium thin for kid sake.
- Stack the rolled/uncooked chapathi in butter/parchment paper.
- Heat the dosa pan/tava and add the rolled stuff and cook till you see bubbles here and there (Pic 3).
- Heat Phulka maker at the same time and transfer the half done chapathi to hot pulka grill.
- Turn both sides and when it bulges (Pic 3) in size that’s it remove from flame.
- Serve with whatever sabji you like, today i am here with classic dal fry which is the best healthy side for hot phulkas…
- You can male plain phulka/soft chapathi by skipping ajwain, masala powder and using the same above method.
Ingredients needed to make dhal fry
Onion – 1 Small Size (Optional)
Tomato – 1 Small Size
Turmeric powder (Haldi) – 1/4 tsp
Whole Kashmiri red chilli – 1 Number (Dried)
Slit Green chili – 2 Numbers
Mustard seeds – 1/2tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1tsp
Ginger – Small Piece
Garlic – 4 Numbers
Salt to taste
Ghee/Oil – As Needed (I used Oil)
- Wash the dal and combine it with 1½ cups of water, turmeric, tomato and green chilis in a pressure cooker.
- Allow 3 hisses n wait to cool completely before opening the lid.
- Mash it well and keep aside.
- Then do the tempering/tadka for the cooked dhal.
- Heat oil/ghee in a kadai, add the mustard seeds when splutters add cumin seeds, kashmiri chilli, chopped onion, grated/chopped ginger and garlic.
- Sauté on a medium flame till the onions turn translucent/light golden brown.
- Adjust salt and add this to the cooked dhal (Stepwise Pic 4 above).
- If required add another 1/4 cup water and cook altogether till it reaches good boiling consistency.
- You can garnish with coriander leaves before serving.
- You can add chopped tomato while preparing tadka instead of adding it along with dal in pressure cooker.
- This Dal is something merge of dal fry and dal tadka…