My Mom usually makes this Keerai Bajji | Palak Pakora Recipe | Gram Flour fritters when she gets sudden guest at home, just picks the fresh leaves from the garden and make this delicious light and fluffy bajjis in jiffy. The leaves I used here is Callaloo/Mulai Keerai or Vellai Thandu Keerai. To more about that Spinach check here. Usually this green leaf comes in very big bunch, I made Thugayal/chutney, this bajji, Keerai masiyal and one more recipe to come soon 🙂 Spinach Pesto Pasta recipes, on the whole I prepared 4 different recipes in one bunch :-).
Recipe Source :- Own
Fine Gram/Besan Flour/Kadala Mavu – 1 and 1/4 Cups
Green Leaves (Discard Stem) – 15-18 Numbers
Red Chili Powder – 1 n 1/2tsp or more
Rice Flour – 1 Tbsp
Asafoetida/Hing – 1/2tsp
Baking Soda – 1/8th tsp
Salt n Water – As Needed
Oil – To Deep fry
- Clean and get ready with spinach leaves (Pic 1).
- Start heating the oil in wide pan under low flame.
- Meanwhile prepare the batter.
- Mix all ingredients except oil, water and spinach (Pic 1).
- Add water and ensure its lump free batter.
- Check the batter consistency and salt in Pic 2.
- Now increase the flame and make sure its hot enough by testing with few drops of prepared batter.
- Dip the spinach leaf one by one (Pic 3) and drop it in hot oil.
- It puff up immediately then flip another side and cook for fractions of seconds or till nice golden brown (Pic 4).
- Remove from oil and drain the excess using paper towel.
Finish your evening snack with this bajjis and cup of coffee or tea 🙂
- Drain the water as much as possible before dipping the leaves in bajji batter.
- Use any spinach with medium to large size leaves.