Tiffin aka Dosa is a daily supplement like sugar and salt intake in South Indian Kitchen hence, instead of white I mean basic Idli Dosa Batter this Ragi Dosa Batter is very healthy and nutritious with addition of Ragi /Finger Millet and Brown Rice. It’s time to pack up things for 2 months vacation in homeland. I am very much excited to see Parents, Family and Friends after 2 years…I drafted few posts since we booked ticket, So I have scheduled few of them and you can expect delay in replying to your queries; Thanks for understanding the same. I will come up with some interesting recipes in near future. Coming to today’s recipe note this batter is good only for Dosa and not for idlis. Kids damn sure like this crispy dosa and unless you tell they never know that it has millet in it 🙂
Brown Rice or Kerala Matta Rice -2 Cups
Idli Rice – 2 Cups
Whole Ragi/Finger Millet – 1.5 Cups (You can use Ragi Flour refer the method section for more details)
Urad Dal – 1 Cup (Good Quality)
Fenugreek – 1 Tbsp
Salt – As Needed
* The above proportion works only for Crispy Dosa and don’t try idlis with it…
- Wash two kinds(Pic 1) of rice and soak overnight or 8 hours atleast.
- Check Ragi for small stones, remove if any(Pic 2), wash and soak along with rices.
- So allow them to soak well for overnight or 8 hours at least.
- 3 hours prior to grinding soak urad dal and fenugreek seeds (Pic 3).
- Grind all together (i do so) or dal and rice separately as you wish to slightly coarse consistency (Pic 4).
- Add salt and allow the batter to ferment at least 4-5 hours (Pic 5).
- Later make soft or crispy dosas as you prefer (Pic 6)…
- Serve them with any tangy spicy chutneys , here i have served with Coriander Chutney, Radish Sambar and Coconut chutney.
- If using Imstant Ragi Flour grind the rice and urad dal, then add ragi flour and salt to it mix well and allow 6-8 hours fermentation.
- I got whole Ragi/Finger Millets from India and sometimes you can get it in Indian stores in US.
- For more Millet Recipes check HERE.