From August to November we are usually busy with consecutive festivals like Aadi Perukku,Varalakshmi Pooja, Krishna Jayanthi, Ganesh Chathurthi, Puratasi Sani/Saturday, Navratri, Saraswathi Pooja (the 9th day of Navarathi) , Ayutha Puja and finally Diwali, the much expected festival. Now Navratri (9 nights) is going on and today is the 5th day, daily one sundal neivedhyam is a must for lord Durgai/Durga. So today I am here with a quick chana dal sundal recipe, which I offered to god today. You can check HERE for more sundal recipes.
Kadala Paruppu/Chana Dal – 1/2 Cup
Green Chili – 2 Numbers
Cumin Seeds – 1tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2tsp
Shredded Coconut – 2-3 Tbsp
Curry Leaves – Few
Grated Ginger – 2tsp
Salt – As Needed
Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Soak Chana Dal/Kadala Paruppu for 10 minutes.
- Pressure cook it for 1 whistle or you can cook in a pan at medium flame for 10-12 minutes.
- Drain the water and allow to cool completely (Pic 1).
- In a pan/kadai add oil when it is hot temper it with mustard and cumin seeds.
- Add finely chopped green chili, ginger and curry leaves (Pic 2).
- Add a pinch of turmeric, salt and boiled chana dal (Pic 2).
- Mix all together and finally add shredded coconut (Pic 3).
- Saute for a minute or two (Pic 4) and remove from flame.
- Offer to God, also this is a great and quick snack during tea time.
- You can add the cooked dal immediately with tempering/tadka, but when you allow to cool it prevents the dal from turning mushy.
- The dal cooking time may vary, so make sure it cooked well before tempering.