This month I got a wonderful opportunity to bake this crisp and lace salt crackers for baking partners group. I made it twice and vanished in minute. We all enjoyed it to core, undoubtedly it is better than store bought version with our favorite flavor…Thank you Swathi and Arthy for the recipe suggestion…
Baking Time: 10-12 minutes
Yields: 40-45 crackers
Recipe Source :- Kingarthur
For the Dough
APF/Maida – 3/4th Cup
Water – 3 Tbsp
Butter – 1 Tbsp
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Active dry yeast – 1 and ½ tsp
Sugar – ½ tsp
Salt – 1/8th tsp or A Pinch
Baking Soda – 1/8th tsp or A Pinch
Vinegar – 2-3 drops (Alternate with 1/8th tsp of Cream of Tartar)
Lukewarm water – 2 – 4 Tbsp (As needed to make soft and sticky dough)
For the Topping
Sea salt – 1-2tsp
Dry herbs – 1 Tbsp (I use Dil/Methi/Oregano/Basil, prefer any seasoning or any specific herb)
- Bring 3 Tbsp of Water, butter and oil to boil in a vessel.
- Stir till butter is melted, keep aside n wait till they are lukewarm.
- Mix yeast and sugar with the above lukewarm water+butter mixture stuff and keep aside.
- In an separate bowl, take the dry ingredients together like flour, salt, soda and cream of tartar (if using).
- Now add in yeast mixture, by making a well in center and mix.
- After yeast is mixed well, add vinegar (if using) and sprinkle lukewarm water, mix to form a soft, sticky dough (Pic 1).
- Transfer this dough to a greased dry vessel and refrigerate overnight by covering it with a cling wrap.
- After an overnight resting (Pic 2), dough won’t double as such, but still a ‘little’ rise is okay.
- Bring this to room temperature (15 minutes approx) and keep them over the working table dusting with excess of flour.
- Press them into a rectangle this will make your rolling process easier.
- Roll them into a sheet of 22 *24 cm, dust flour as much to obtain this sheet.
- Fold them through left half vertically, repeat the same through right side, till this resembles an ‘envelope’(Pic 3).
- Pre-heat the oven to 200° C/392° F.
- Turn the dough in to 90 degree and start rolling. This folding and rolling is done, in order to get a flaky cracker.
- Roll them to very thin sheet as much you can (Pic 4), I rolled it between parchment paper.
- Cut them horizontal and vertical lines, with 4cm or 5 cm length(Pic 4) for each salting cracker.
- Now spread the herb topping uniformly (Pic 5).
- You can separate each cracker and place them on baking sheet, be careful when you separate them, these crackers will be sticky.
- But I just placed the whole baking sheet with splited crackers over the baking/cookie pan (Pic 6)
- Make holes using wooden stick/toothpick.
- Bake them in pre-heated oven for ten to twelve minutes.
- Watch them closely, as they can easily burn or brown, remove from oven till edges are slightly brown (Pic 6) and cool over wire rack completely.
- Store in aortight container till use.
- Great kids ater school snack and serve it with cream cheese spread as shown in below picture.
- For Carrot cream cheese spread, I just blended cream cheese with little yogurt/sour cream and milk, then finally I added shredded carrot…