Every Sunday Non-Veg Biryani is a must at home. Nowadays my little also turned a great fan for biryani like his father. One day he got cold and coughs and he ignored usual food I prepared. Later he asked me to get Biryani. So once in a weekday I prepare egg biryani for him. This biryani is so tasty and flavorful with the fresh homemade ground masala powder and the egg masala we prepare.
Rice – 2 and 1/2 Cups
Egg – 5 Numbers
Onion – 2 Numbers (Large)
Tomato – 2 Numbers (Medium)
Mint – 1/2-3/4th Cup (Loosely Packed)
Coriander Leaves – 1/2-3/4rd Cup (Loosely Packed)
Green Chili – 2 Numbers (Slit)
Yogurt – 3/4 Cup (I use 2% reduced fat yogurt)
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 Tbsp
Garam Masala Powder – 3/4 Tbsp
Biryani Masala Powder – 1and1/4 Tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2tsp
Butter or Oil or Ghee – 4-5 Tbsp
Bay Leaves and Star Anise – 3 Each
To Roast and Grind (Homemade Masala Powder)
Cinnamon – 1 Large Stick (4-5″ Split)
Cloves – 4 Numbers
Cardamom – 4 Numbers
Poppy Seeds – 1/2tsp
Fennel Seeds- 1/2tsp
Pepper – 1tsp
Salt – 1tsp
Coriander Seeds – 1 Tbsp
Ingredients For Boiled Egg Masala
Onion – 2 Numbers (Large)
Tomato – 1 Small
Red Chili Powder or Homemade Sambar Powder – 1/2 Tbsp or More
Salt – 1/2tsp
Oil – 3 Tbsp
How to make Biryani Gravy and Cook with Basmati Rice
- Soak the basmati rice 30 minutes at least.
- Meanwhile make the other stuffs ready.
- Boil the eggs for 8 minutes in a pan or pressure cook for 1 whistle, both works.
- Dry fry the ingredients given under “To Roast and Grind” with 1/2tsp salt.
- Once cooled down powder it finely in food processor/mixie.
- Cut the onion to very thin slices.
- Clean and chop the tomatoes, coriander leaves and Mint Leaves.
- In a wide pan/kadai add butter/oil/ghee, when it is hot add bay leaves/star anise after a minute add sliced onions.
- Once onions are half way thru add ginger garlic paste, slit green chili’s and saute till onion changes light brown in color.
- Keep stirring and don’t burn the onions.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and 1tsp of salt.
- Saute in medium flame till it mashes well and whole masala leaves oil.
- Add all the powders like Garam Masala, Turmeric, Biryani and already prepared homemade masala Powder.
- After a minute or 2 add yogurt and chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Mix all well together and continue cooking for another 2-4 minutes.
- Now add this masala to soaked rice, with 4 cups of water (if your prepared biryani gravy has 1 cup of water then add 3 cups of water alone, likewise adjust water accordingly, too much water makes the rice mushy).
- Finally adjust salt and pressure cook for 3 whistles or use electric cooker in white rice mode.
- It will be ready in another 30-40 minutes of time, meanwhile prepare the boiled egg masala to mix it later with cooked rice.
- When pressure goes off spread the rice in tray careful not to break the rice.
How to make Boiled Egg Masala
- Peel the boiled egg shells and slit with knife all over the eggs.
- In a pan/kadai (you can use the same kadai that used for biryani gravy) add oil.
- When oil is hot add sliced onions and 1/2tsp salt.
- Don’t add too much salt or spices, this mixture is going to garnish the cooked biryani rice.
- Saute till onion changes translucent and nice golden color.
- Now add chopped tomato and saute for another 3-4 minutes in medium flame.
- Add red chili powder give a gentle stir then add boiled eggs, reduce flame.
- In low flame with on and off stirring cook the eggs by the way the masala coats well with eggs.
Assembling the Biryani
- You need some fried onions its optional you can skip it too.
- Now the Rice and Egg masalas are ready.
- Top the egg masala over already spread rice and using two forks gently mix it up.
- Here you can sprinkle some saffron diluted in water but its optional.
- Serve the hot biryani with raita and crispy fried onions.
- This biryani is mildly spiced, You can increase red chilli powder.