I have shared this Carrot Tomato Chutney Recipe in Aval Vikatan Kitchen (Tamil Monthly Magazine) along with few other chutney varieties in last April Edition. I couldn’t find time to post it in the blog earlier. Thanks to Aval Vikatan Kitchen Team for recognizing me…Coming to today’s recipe this chutney is very healthy with the carrot and tomato combo. Also it doesn’t have coconut so it’s diabetic friendly too…
Carrot – 1 Number (Large one otherwise take 2 medium size)
Tomato – 1 Small Size
Onion – 1 Small Size or Shallots 4-5 Numbers
Ginger – A Small Piece
Red Chili – 2 Numbers
Red Chili Powder – 1tsp or More
Tamarind – Small gooseberry size
Salt and Oil – As Needed
Urad Dal – 1tsp
Curry Leaves – Few
Mustard Seeds – 1/2tsp
- Soak tamarind in 2-3 tbsp of warm water (Pic 1).
- Make the other ingredients ready (Pic 1).
- Shred the carrot and keep aside.
- In a kadai add 1 tbsp oil, shallots (if shallots are big then chop it roughly), ginger and red chilis (Pic 2).
- Saute for 2-3 minutes in medium flame.
- Once onion changes color add roughly chopped tomato (Pic 2) and salt, saute till tomato mashes well (Pic 3).
- Finally add shredded carrot (Pic 3), half of soaked tamarind pieces and red chili powder (Pic 4).
- In low to medium flame saute till carrot shrinks in size and raw smell disappears (Pic 5).
- Once the mixture cools down add tamarind juice (if necessary), adjust salt and blend altogether to nice paste (Pic 6).
- Temper the ingredients given above in hot oil or ghee and serve with rice or tiffin varieties (Picture below).