Today’s recipe is simple yet very healthy spinach rice, very kids friendly recipe. When I use spinach to make keerai masiyal, my little one sometimes hesitate to take it with plain rice. He likes Biryani/Variety Rice much, so long time back I tried this spinach rice especially for him. After that weekly once I make this healthy rice for him and he loves it by saying “Amma Green Rice” :-). Also this is a great lunch box special for school going kids too..
Recipe Source :- Own
Spinach – Half Bunch from one small bunch
Rice – 1 Cup
Onion – 1 Medium Size
Green Chili – 1 Number (If you feel spicy skip red chili in the dry roast list below)
Chana and Urad Dhal – 1n1/2 Tbsp
Curry Leaves – Few
Oil or Ghee – 1n1/2 Tbsp
To Dry Roast n Powder
Red chili – 1 Number
Pepper Corns – 1tsp
Cumin – 1 n 1/2tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1tsp
Salt – 1/2tsp
- Dry roast the ingredients given above and powder it fine(Pic 1).
- Clean, Wash and puree the spinach to nice paste, don’t add water.
- Also I add thin spinach stems, if you wish u can add so…
- In a kadai/pan add oil and when it is hot add dal, saute till golden brown.
- Now add chopped onion, curry leaves, ground powder and pureed spinach(Pic 2).
- Saute the mixture till raw smell disappears from spinach.
- In the pressure cooker add Rice, Sautéed stuff, salt(Pic 3) and necessary water, 1:2 for Rice : Water.
- Allow 3 hisses and if needed you can soak rice for few minutes before start cooking.
- When pressure goes off, mix well(Pic 4) then serve it hot.
- Here I served with cauliflower/Gobi manchurian but ghee/yogurt or raita is enough…