My parents visit often when i was in Chennai and my dad/appa never fails to taste Gobi Manchurian during his trip. Either we go to restaurant or vice versa, anyways he needs it often :-). My mom makes it at home using gram flour. Though I prepare it in a similar way as I stated here, today I adapted with less spices by keeping his age in mind. As a blogger this is the first recipe I prepared specially for him and posting here from my mom’s kitchen/Hometown :-).
Cauliflower – 1 (Medium Size)
APF/Maida – 1 Cup
Corn flour – 1/2 Cup (Replace with 6 Tbsp Gram Flour + 2 Tbsp Rice Flour)
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 Tbsp
Pepper Powder – 1tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1tsp
Food Color – Optional (I usually don’t)
Lemon Juice – 1/2 Tbsp
Oil, Salt n Water – As Required
For the sauce
Onion – 1 Medium Size
Tomato Paste/Puree or Ketchup – 1/2 Cup (I used homemade puree with 2 tomatoes)
Green Chilli – 1-2 Number
Red/Green Chilli Sauce – 1/4 Cup
Soy Sauce – 2 Tbsp
Garlic – 4-5 finely chopped
Dark Brown Sugar – 1/2tsp (Optional)
Corn Starch – 2tsp
Salt – As Needed
- Boil the water (to immerse cauliflower florets) with salt.
- When starts bubbling switch off the flame n add the florets in salted water for 2-3mins (Pic 1).
- Pat dry the florets before marinating.
- If the florets are not fresh enough wash it one more time in normal water.
- For marination add all the ingredients half quantity (Pic 2) and make the batter bit watery (Pic 3), marinate at least 30mins (Pic 4).
- (You can prepare the sauce right now)
- Mix all the remaining half of the ingredients to thick paste, dip the marinated florets and deep fry it.
- Drain excess oil using paper towel Pic 5.
- For tomato puree, add the washed tomatoes in boiled water for 5mins.
- Peel the outer skin and grind it to fine paste.
- Prepare the sauce add oil in a pan/kadai, sauté the chopped garlic.
- Now add chopped onion and green chilies.
- Then tomato puree, chili sauce, sugar and soy sauce.
- Bring it to boil finally add corn starch paste (corn starch + water), check salt.
- At last add fried cauliflower florets, mix it well before serving Pic 6.
- Garnish with coriander leaves or spring onion.
- Add spices according to your taste.
- Also you can skip marination and directly deep fry it.
- I couldn’t find green onion/coriander leaves to garnish at that time.
- For marination the batter consistency should be bit watery otherwise florets won’t coat well n before deep frying it should be thick.
- For gobi manchurian dry version skip the sauce preparation n add more spices in the batter itself.