When I was in Chennai my parents visit often and my dad/appa never fails to taste Gobi Manchurian during his trip. Either we go to restaurant or vice versa, anyways he needs it often :-). My mom makes it at home using gram flour. Though I prepare it in a similar way as I stated here, today I adapted with less spices by keeping his age in mind. As a blogger this is the first recipe
I prepared specially for him and posting here from my mom’s kitchen/Hometown :-).
Ingredients for Gobi Manchurian
Video Tutorial Coming Soon…
- Boil the water (to immerse cauliflower florets) with salt.
- When starts bubbling switch off the flame n add the florets in salted water for 2-3 minutes (Pic 1).
- Pat dry the florets before marinating.
- If the florets are not fresh enough wash it one more time in normal water.
- For marination add all the ingredients half quantity (Pic 2) and make the batter bit watery (Pic 3), marinate at least 30 minutes (Pic 4).
- (You can prepare the sauce right now)
- Mix all the remaining half of the ingredients to thick paste, dip the marinated florets and deep fry it.
- Drain excess oil using paper towel Pic 5.
- For tomato puree, add the washed tomatoes in boiled water for 5 minutes.
- Peel the outer skin and grind it to fine paste.
- Prepare the sauce add oil in a pan/kadai, sauté the chopped garlic.
- Now add chopped onion and green chilies.
- Then tomato puree, chili sauce, sugar and soy sauce.
- Bring it to boil finally add corn starch paste (corn starch + water), check salt.
- At last add fried cauliflower florets, mix it well before serving Pic 6.
- Garnish with coriander leaves or spring onion.
- Add spices according to your taste.
- Also you can skip marination and directly deep fry it.
- I couldn’t find green onion/coriander leaves to garnish at that time.
- For marination the batter consistency should be bit watery otherwise florets won’t coat well n before deep frying it should be thick.
- For gobi manchurian dry version skip the sauce preparation n add more spices in the batter itself.
- Maida burfi instead of maida used wheat flour
- Gobi Manchurian
- வெண்டைக்காய் பொரியல் / Okra Stir Fry
- பாசிப்பருப்பு குழம்பு /moong dal sambar
- கத்திரிக்காய் கார குழம்பு / Brinjal tamarind based spicy curry
- Lemon Ginger Rasam
- கஞ்சி வடித்த சாதம் / starch removed boiled rice
- மோர் / Buttermilk
- எண்ணையில் பொறித்த அப்பளம் / deep fried kerala papadum
- உருக்கிய நெய் /served with homemade ghee