Chundakkai/Sundakkai/Turkey Berry is a vegetable or fruit grown in a medium tall plant, as shown in the picture below and it has lot of medicinal values. Today’s post is related to it, which is none other than healthy chutney powder / Sundakkai Vathal Paruppu Podi / Sadam podi with the mix of dried turkey berry (sundakkai) and dal. Daily eating few teaspoons of this powder is very good for health…The dried berry has a little bitter taste so making powder with dal subsides it and even my kids have it with ghee and rice….
Dried Sundakkai/Vathal – 1/2 Cup (shown in last picture)
Toor Dal – 3/4 Cup
Dalia/Fried Gram/Pottukadalai – 1/4 Cup
Pepper – 1and1/2tsp
Whole Red Chili – 8-10 Numbers
Garlic – 2 Cloves
Curry Leaves – Few (Optional)
Salt and Oil – As Needed
- Dry fry Turket berry/sundakkai and keep aside.
- Also dry fry dalia and keep aside.
- In the same kadai add 2tsp of oil and fry toor dal, red chilis, garlic and curry leaves with 1tsp salt till dal turns golden brown (Pic 1).
- Remove the excess oil in a kitchen towel and allow to cool completely (Pic 3).
- Grind the fried sundakkai/turkey berry first (Pic 2) and grind the remaining ingredients all together(Pic 4).
- Adjust salt and if you like to make more spicy you can add some red chili powder right now.
- Once the powder/podi cooled cooled transfer to a air tight container(Pic below) and this remains fresh in room temperature for more than 15 days.
- You can store in refrigerator for longer use.
- Best to go with Rice and Ghee combo.
- You can add 1/4 cup dry coconut/koparai thengaai to this powder.
very interesting podi.. Looks yum!
Beautiful post, luv this podi!