I have a South Indian version of green moong dal curry/pasi paruppu kuzhambu using sambar powder that goes well with rice and tiffin varieties and here comes the North Indian style green moong dal curry/Hara Moong Dal Tadka that’s suits well for chapatti/roti and rice varieties. It has lot of names like Hari dal fry or Sabut moong dal or Akha mung dal in North side. However this green moong dal is very good for health and especially taking it in the form of sprouts or curry is too good.
Source Referred :- IndianKhana
Whole Green Moong Dal – 1 Cup
Onion – 1 Number (Jumbo) or 2 Medium Size
Tomato – 3 Numbers (Small)
Green Chili – 2 Numbers
Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1tsp
Garlic – 6 Cloves
Ginger – Small Finger Size
Garam Masala Powder – 1tsp
Coriander Powder – 1tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2tsp
Dry Methi Leaves – 1tsp or more (the flavor to this curry comes from methi leaves so you can increase it)
Lemon Juice – From 1 Lemon
Oil or Butter or Ghee – As Needed
Hara Moong Dal Tadka Preparation
- Soak the dal for 3 hours in warm water or overnight, even soaking in warm water for an hour works but it needs few more minutes to cook.
- Grind the green chili and garlic coarsely and keep aside.
- In the same jar grind ginger to fine paste and keep aside.
- Cook the dal with 2 garlic in pressure cooker for 4-5 hisses and keep aside (Pic 1).
- In kadai add oil/butter/ghee, splutter cumin seeds then add ground chili, garlic and ginger one by one, add chopped onions and fry till onion turns golden brown.
- Add chopped tomato and salt, once tomato turns tender add red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and turmeric powder.
- Cook all together (Pic 2) and sprinkle some water if needed.
- Finally add cooked and gently mashed dal (Pic 2), crushed methi leaves and adjust salt.
- Add 1 cup of water or as needed and let cook in medium flame for a while say 5-7 minutes.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and squeeze lemon before serving (Pic 3).
- Also you can finally make a tadka/tempering with cumin and red chili and add it before serving (Optional).