Today I am here with a simple yet healthy green moong bean curry | Pasi Payaru Kulambu | pasi paruppu kuzhambu, a very authentic recipe and whenever I make it I never miss to taste it with rice, ghee and papad combo :-). Not only with rice this is a great side dish for chapathi and tiffin varieties as well. This green mung dal or bean is very healthy among the dal varieties, it tastes yum with ghee or butter so instead of oil try it for kids and really they like it. Shallot makes wonder on this curry if not use regular onion then.
Ingredients for Pasi Payaru Kulambu
*Split or Whole Moong Dal/Bean – 3/4th Cup (Refer Variations)
Shallots – 5-7 Numbers
Cumin Seeds – 1 and 1/2tsp
Pepper Corns – 1tsp
Whole Red Chili – 2 Numbers
Garlic – 4-5 Numbers
Green Chili – 1 Number
Mustard Seeds – 1/2tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4tsp
Curry Leaves – Few
Sambar Powder – 1tsp (Alternate with Red Chili Powder)
Salt and Oil – As Needed
*If using whole moong bean soak few hours for easy cooking.
Method for Pasi Payaru Kulambu
- Cook the dal with enough water, cumin seeds, pepper corns, garlic, turmeric powder, red and green chili for 3-4 whistles.
- Allow to cool completely, mash it well using dal masher.
- Heat oil in a pan, temper with mustard seeds followed by chopped shallots, curry leaves, sambar/red chili powder if needed.
- When onion becomes translucent , add cooked dal, enough water and salt.
- When it reaches high boiling point and kulambu gets thicken, remove from heat.
- It’s a fantastic side dish to go with rice+ghee and Papad or any poriyal.
- Also a very good accomplishment for Chapati/Roti.
- Can add few shallots while pressure cooking the dal, my grandma makes like that.
- Also you can add few chopped carrots amma makes that way.
- Also you can add half tomato along with dal.
🍛 Jhangri in diff shape (konjam styla)
🍛 Kaju Katli
🍛 Baked Cauliflower / Gobi 65
🍛 Mint Rice
🍛 Kovakkai Poriyal
🍛 Pasi Payir Masiyal
🍛 Poondu Kara Kuzhambu
🍛 Tomato Rasam
🍛 Bottle gourd Raita and
🍛 Boiled Sona Masoori Rice