Easter’s day is fast approaching Hot Cross Buns, recipes related with Carrot, Bunny shaped desserts are much popular for Easter Sunday. I am planning to take the kids to nearest egg hunt festival on that day. Coming to the Hot Cross Buns recipe, it’s a mix of dry fruits in the soft buns with mild
sweet all over. I made it twice last year and drafted the recipe immediately in my blog, but I am not sure from where did I adapt the recipe.For an eggless version just skip egg wherever mentioned…
Ingredients for Hot Cross Buns
Unbleached All Purpose Flour/Maida or Bread Flour – 2.75 Cups
Butter – 5 Tbsp
Active Dry Yeast – 1.5tsp
Water – 2 Tbsp
Sugar – 1/3 Cup
Egg – 1 Number (For an eggless version skip egg)
Cinnamon Powder – 3/4tsp
Cardamom Powder – 1/2tsp
Lukewarm Milk – 3/4 Cup
Dried Cherries/Yellow Raisins/Currants or Tutti Frutti – 1/3 Cup (Finely Chopped)
For Egg Wash
Egg Yolk – 1 (For an eggless version skip egg and use milk alone for wash)
Water or Milk – 1 Tbsp
The reason for dark brown color top over the buns is becoz of egg yolk wash, so using different wash may chane the look of the buns.
Four – 1/3 Cup
Water – 2.5 Tbsp
Sugar – 1/2tsp
I used 1- 9*13 inch cake pan and 1- 8″ round cake pan to make 8 buns.
Hot Cross Buns Preparation
- Drop the yeast in lukewarm milk (Pic 1) and let them sit for few seconds until the yeast dissolves and start puffing up (no need to raise fully).
- Meanwhile make the other stuffs ready.
- Mix flour, cinnamon, cardamom powder, an egg, sugar (Pic 2) and keep kneading with yeast mixture and 2 tbsp (you may need more) of water till it becomes soft Pic 3).
- If the dough is dry and crumble nothing to worry, butter makes it perfect.
- Now add softened butter (Pic 3) and keep kneading for another 4-5 minutes.
- Finally add the dry fruits like cherry, raisin Pic 4), kind of thing and mix all together.
- Allow the mixture to raise ie for the first proof it needs minimum 1 hour.
- Meanwhile grease the cookie sheet or cake pan with parchment paper (Pic 5).
- After 1 hour the mixture looks like shown in picture 6.
- Punch the puffed bread dough and weigh it (Pic 8) to make equal size balls.
- I got 8 numbers, so lay them on the cookie sheet with enough space between each other
- Let them rise for another 40 minutes, after that make the egg wash and apply all over the buns.
- In a mixing bowl, mix flour and water for the cross (hot cross), the consistency should be very thick like shown in picture 10.
- Add it to the Piping bag with a hole to make the cross as shown in pictures 11 & 12.
- Squeeze the cross batter over 40 minutes second proven buns Pic 11 & 12).
- Now in pre heated oven bake them at 350 F for 18-20 minutes or the top turns golden brown (mine got ready in 15 minutes of time).