Thakkali Sandhagai Idiyappam / Tomato Sevai is very popular in Kongu Cuisine. I have mentioned a story about idiyappam/sevai in Authentic Sandhagai Recipe. Also refer the same recipe to make idiyappam/Nool puttu. Once the Idiyappam/white sevai is done you have to add sprinkle few drops oil to it and split them apart, keep aside till you get ready with the tomato masala. Now make a spicy tomato masala or curry then finally add the separated idiyappam/string hoppers. In short this tomato sev is the seasoned mix tomato onion, green chili and few spices with the plain idiyappam.
Take Idiyappam/Sevai/Sandhagai made from 1 and 1/2 Cup of Rice Flour
Ingredients For Thakkali Sandhagai Idiyappam
Tomato – 2 Numbers (Jumbo Size)
Onion – 1 Medium Size or 5-6 Shallots
Green Chili – 2 Numbers
Turmeric Powder -1/2tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1tsp (you canreduce a bit)
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2tsp
Curry Leaves – Few
Mustard – 1/2tsp
Chana and Urad dal – 1 Tbsp
Optional Lemon Juice – 1tsp
Salt and Oil as required
Thakkali Sandhagai Idiyappam Preparation
- As mentioned earlir in this post make the idiyappam/sandhagai (Pic 1), sprinkle some oil and split them apart, keep apart (Pic 2 and Pic 3).
- Also you can use any leftover sandhagai for this recipe.
- In the stepwise pictures 1, 2 and 3, i have shown the recently purchased idiyappam steamer, you have to grease the plates with oil before making idiyappam so it will be take out after its done.
- Now in a wide pan/kadai add oil when it is hot add mustard followed by chana and urad dal.
- When dal turns golden brown add chopped onion, curry leaves and sliced green chilis.
- Once the onion shrinks and turns brown, add chopped tomato, salt and red chili powder.
- Let them cook in medium flame till tomato mashes well.
- Cook them covered so that tomato cooks very quick.
- Add garam masala powder, adjust salt and few people add lemon juice, so if you like you can add right now.
- Finally add the already prepared idiyappam, no need to chop them, while stirring they will break up.
- So give gentle stir after adding the sandhagai and remove from flame.
Leave a Reply