I usually add Whole grains like Pear Millet(Kambu)/Ragi/Jowar in the form of idli/dosa and I rarely give white/regular dosa/idlis to kids…So today’s recipe is a tangy and bit spicy Kambu Kaara Dosai Bajra Tomato Dosa . Kids tolerated the spiciness as I replaced most red chili with red capsicum / bell pepper….Try this to your kids they love it and healthy too….
Recipe Source :- Own
Ingredients for Kambu Kaara Dosai Bajra Tomato Dosa
Kambu/Pearl Millet/Bajra/Bajri – 1 Cup
Idli Rice – 3/4 Cup (Alternate with regular rice but increase another 2 Tbsp of Urad dal)
Urad Dal – 5 Tbsp
Whole Red Chili – 1-2 Numbers
Fenugreek/Venthayam – 1/2tsp
Hing/Asafoetida – A Pinch
Salt – As Needed
To Saute and Grind
Tomato – 1/2 Number (Large)
*Red Capsicum/Bell Pepper – 1/4 Number (Large)
Ginger – A Small Piece
* You can alternate capsicum with red chili powder
How to make Kambu Kaara Dosai Bajra Tomato Dosa
- Soak whole millet/kambu and rice for at least 6 hours or overnight (Pic 1).
- Grind it to bit coarse paste and allow fermenting with necessary salt.
- Saute chopped tomato, capsicum, ginger and salt in 2tsp of oil till raw smell disappears (Pic 2).
- Allow to cool and grind to fine paste.
- After 6 hours of fermentation, add the red paste with the fermented batter (Pic 3).
- Add water if needed to make the batter for dropping consistency (Pic 4).
- Heat dosa pan, add 1/4-1/3 cup of batter in circular motion (Pic 4).
- Thin or thick dosa, it totally depends on your taste and both works well.
- I usually don’t add oil/ghee for dosas, it’s up to you and when one side is done, flip it (Pic 5).