kulambu version while a friend of mine
shared her no onion no coconut vatha kulambu with us I was totally inspired and asked her about the recipe. This recipe was given by her orally and do try this version and let me know your feedbacks.
Sundakkai Vathal – 1/2 Cup
Tamarind Extract – 1/2 Cup
Salt and Gingely Oil – As Needed
Crushed Garlic – 4 Numbers (Optional)
Turmeric Powder – 1/2tsp
Red Chili Powder or Sambar Powder – 1-2tsp as per taste
Curry leaves – Few
To Saute and Grind
Chana Dal – 1 Tbsp
Methi Seeds – 1/2tsp
Dry Red Chilli/ Milagai Vathal – 4-5 Numbers
Mustard Seeds – 1/2tsp
Coriander Seeds – 1 Tbsp or Powder – 1/2 Tbsp
Salt – 1/2tsp
- Dry roast the ingredients given under to saute and grind without oil, once cooled done powder it fine.
- Soak tamarind in warm water and extract the pulp with required water.
- Add generous oil and once it is hot temper 1/2tsp mustard seeds, add crushed garlic and curry leaves.
- Now add the vathal and saute well in oil to light its bitterness.
- Add turmeric, tamarind extract (if I is thick dilute with 1/2cup water)
- Allow them to boil till it reaches half in quantity.
- Simmer the flame and add the ground powder, stir well immediately to prevent lumps.
- Adjust salt and spice accordingly and once it reaches the vathal kulambu consistency as shown in pictures, remove it from the flame.
- Serve with suta appalam and rice