This Chicken gravy is something special I learnt from my grandma. She neither adds Tomato nor ginger in this gravy. I usually add lot of coriander powder (make it at home) and less coconut. Coriander not only thickens the gravy, it also has many medicinal benefits especially coriander controls diabetics. Also Shallot gives wonderful taste to this kulambu. This gravy goes well with Rice, Biryani, Idli/Dosa, Chapathi n Flat breads…Hope you try this gravy soon… Ingredients to saute n grind
Shallot – 10-12 No.
Garlic – 10 No.
Red Chili – 2 Numbers
Cumin Seeds – 3/4th Tbsp
Pepper – 1/2 Tbsp
Kaskas – 1/2 Tbsp
Cloves – 2 No.
Cinnamon – 1 medium lengthy piece
Fennel Seeds – 1tsp
Coriander Powder – 3 Tbsp
Roasted gram/Pottukadalai – 1 Tbsp
Curry Leaves – Few
Salt – 1/2tsp
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Other Ingredients for Gravy
Chicken – 450gms (1 lb)
Coconut milk – 1/2 Cup
Chopped Onion – 1/4 Cup
Red Chili Powder – 1tsp (or as per need)
Mustard Seeds – 1/4tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 Sprig
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Salt n Water as needed
Coriander leaves – For garnishing
- Heat oil n add shallots,salt n garlic first (If the shallots are very big in size slice to halve).
- When turns light brown add other ingredients except coriander n pottukadalai.
- Saute well in medium flame till attains nice aroma.
- Finally add coriander powder n pottukadalai.
- Grind to very fine paste n mix coconut milk with it.
- In the same pan add one Tbsp of oil, add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add chopped onion, curry leaves.
- Saute till golden brown, then add turmeric, pinch of salt and chicken pieces.
- Cook in medium flame till chicken becomes tender and leaves juice.
- At this point add ground masala mixed with coconut milk (Pic 2).
- Add less water and cook in high flame till it starts bubbling.
- It starts bubbling in another 2-3mins reduce the flame to low.
- By this time chicken should cooked well (Pic 3).
- Now simmer it till oil separates/floats on top (Pic 4).
- I usually add very less oil so I get less oil on top.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and put off the stove.
If like to add tomato then add 1/2 small size tomato with other “To grind” ingredients.