Kongunadu Gramathu Kozhi Kuzhambu / Vilage style Chicken gravy is something special I learnt from my grandma. She neither adds Tomato nor ginger in this gravy. I usually add lot of coriander powder (make it at home) and less coconut. Coriander not only thickens the gravy, it also has many medicinal benefits especially coriander controls diabetics. Also Shallot gives wonderful taste to this kulambu. This gravy goes well with Rice, Biryani, Idli/Dosa, Chapathi n Flat breads…Hope you try this gravy soon…
Ingredients to saute and grind
Shallot – 10-12 Numbers
Garlic – 10 Numbers
Red Chili – 2 Numbers
Cumin Seeds – 3/4th Tbsp
Pepper – 1/2 Tbsp
Kaskas – 1/2 Tbsp
Cloves – 2 Numbers.
Cinnamon – 1 medium lengthy piece
Fennel Seeds – 1tsp
Coriander Powder – 3 Tbsp
Roasted gram/Pottukadalai – 1 Tbsp
Curry Leaves – Few
Salt – 1/2tsp
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Other Ingredients for Gravy
Chicken – 450gms (1 lb)
Coconut milk – 1/2 Cup
Chopped Onion – 1/4 Cup
Red Chili Powder – 1tsp (or as per need)
Mustard Seeds – 1/4tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 Sprig
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Salt and Water as needed
Coriander leaves – For garnishing
- Heat oil and add shallots,salt and garlic first (If the shallots are very big in size slice to halve).
- When turns light brown add other ingredients except coriander powder and pottukadalai.
- Saute well in medium flame till attains nice aroma.
- Finally add coriander powder and pottukadalai.
- Grind to very fine paste and mix coconut milk with it.
- In the same pan add one Tbsp of oil, add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add chopped onion, curry leaves.
- Saute till golden brown, then add turmeric, pinch of salt and chicken pieces.
- Cook in medium flame till chicken becomes tender and leaves juice.
- At this point add ground masala mixed with coconut milk (Pic 2).
- Add less water and cook in high flame till it starts bubbling.
- It starts bubbling in another 2-3mins reduce the flame to low.
- By this time chicken should cooked well (Pic 3).
- Now simmer it till oil separates/floats on top (Pic 4).
- I usually add very less oil so I get less oil on top.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and remove from heat.
If like to add tomato then add 1/2 small size tomato with other “To grind” ingredients.
Drool worthy dish!! I am floored!!
very interesting chicken recipe dear..
Dosa and chicken ..please invite me over, am drooling here!
Awwww…..its my breakfast time, u r making me hungry and I luv this combi of dosa n chick curry. Luv such a traditional one.
Authentic and delicious gravy..Love your pictures..
Dish In 30 Minutes – Soups & Salad
Delicious chicken curry..love the combo with dosas…
Tempting chicken kulambu.. Love the spread of dishes.. Wish I could taste this kulambu with that crispy cone dosa..
yummy kulambu,super tempting!!
Flavors Of Cuisines-"Mexican"
Super delicious kulambur dear..Delectable clicks 🙂 Superb and irresistible platter 🙂
mouth watering and tempting chicken gravy….
"Healthy Recipe Substitution" HRS EVENT Dec 20th to Mar 20th
SYF&HWS – Cook With SPICES" Series
South Indian Cooking
Tempting and super yum..wonderful preparation.
amazing… really mouthwatering… awesome clicks:)
Love to finish that whole bowl of fingerlicking kuzhambu,irresistible and seriously tempting platter, especially that cone dosa is very catchy.
beautiful click dear.. awesome preparation and presentation..
yummy and tempting kuzhambu:)
I should try this…looking good…
Tempting platter….. hungry now 🙂
Wow! Mouth watering here
Oh dear god… am drooling over that platter… Too tempting
Looks delicious.Nice treat..
Delicious chicken gravy that too traditional one.