Here comes creamy curd rice recipe like restaurant style with no chunks/pieces of green chili’s in it. We usually add finely chopped green chili’s to yogurt rice but my Kids love curd rice without any chili bites. I have noticed in few restaurants the curd rice has spice but I couldn’t find traces of chili’s in it. So I recreated the same with my way of cooking green chili’s in milk for few mins, when cooled completely add yogurt and mashed cooked rice to it. Give the final touch by tempering mustard seeds. Mustard seed is the main ingredient so temper in hot oil and it has to splutter immediately after adding it in oil, that’s how the curd rice gets its flavor.
Ingredients for creamy curd rice
Cooked Rice – 2 and 1/2 Cups
Butter – 1 Tbsp
Thick Yogurt – 1 and 1/2 Cups
Milk – 1/2 Cup
Mustard Seeds – 1tsp
Coriander Leaves – Few
Ginger – Small Piece (Optional)
Urad and Chana Dhal – 1 Tbsp each (Optional)
Salt,Water and Oil – As Needed
- Cook the rice with 1:3 (Rice:Water) and allow to cool completely.
- Mash the rice with butter and salt Pic 1, you can also use food processor to mash the rice.
- Boil the milk with chopped chilis and strain the seeds Pic 2.
- When cooled completely add milk, chilled yogurt to the mashed rice.
- Finally temper with mustard, ginger (optional) and dhals (optional) as you like Pic 3.
- You can add chopped curry leaves at this point.
- Check salt and garnish with coriander leaves.
- This curd rice goes very well with pickles/Spicy Potato Masala Roast/raw onion/shallot.
- Can reduce yogurt and add butter milk as well.
- If elders feel hard to bite the dal either skip it or
- soak the dals with boiled milk for few mins and then add to the mashed rice.