Pineapple Pastry | Pineapple Cake is a popular Indian bakery pastry cake (technically not a pastry) aka sponge cake layered with rich, smooth and silky whipped cream and chopped pineapples for each layers (can be of 2 or more layers), also the cake is finally topped/decorated with dollop of whipped cream and cherries. I have Tiramisu Sponge Cake recipe just adapted it and there in that recipe if you notice i have mentioned in the tip section that “If you miss beating egg whites to right consistency then the cake is really a mess to overcome add 1tsp baking powder in the flour mixture”. The same tip I followed here and added the baking powder as
the main ingredient in the ingredient list. so this is a fool proof well rising sponge cake recipe for beginners in baking they can attain perfect cake without any hassle.
This cake is a light and feathery reasonable height (3.5 to 4 inch) sponge cake so when you are using the same recipe for a quarter sheet cake of two layers then increase the ingredient mentioned below as 7oz cake flour, 7oz sugar, .7oz baking powder with 7 large eggs bake it in half sheet and cut them in to two equal parts sandwich with the favorite filling…
I have few eggless cakes you can choose those from HERE
I used 9X13 rectangle pan (10 by 10 square pan also works for this measurement)
Yields :- 9X5 inch 3 layer Pastry cake
Ingredients for Pineapple Pastry | Pineapple Cake
Cake Flour – 142 grams or 5 oz or 1.25 Cups ( 120 grams = 1 Cup, to make 1 cup cake flour take 1 cup all purpose flour minus 2 tbsp of APF + 2 tbsp corn flour)
Granulated Sugar – 5 oz or 140 grams or approx (3/4th Cup)
Baking Powder – 14 grams (.5oz) or A Pinch less than 1 Tbsp since 1 Tbsp = 14.38grams
Extra Large Eggs – 5 at room temperature
Pineapple Extract – 1/2tsp (Vanilla for regular sponge cake)
Cake Batter Preparation
- Keep the eggs out from the fridge ahead of time or soak them in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes.
- Butter and flour or butter and place parchment on a half sheet pan or cookie sheet whatever pan you are using just make it ready.
- Sift the flour with baking powder and keep aside.
- Place the eggs( whole eggs), sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Use the wire whip attachment beat the eggs until very fluffy and pale yellow about 15 minutes on medium to high speed, i have attached a short video and few step by step beating stage HERE in the Tiramisu Sponge Cake, please refer it.
- To test that the eggs are beaten well, drop some of the mixture in to a plate.
- If it remains sitting on top/stiff then it means it is ready to add flour mixture.
- Sift the flour on top of the egg mixture, a little at a time, and fold it gently with a wooden spoon.
- You can go with other way of adding flour in to mixer that is, keep the egg sugar mixture in low speed and add flour in very small batches in to it by keep running the mixer, this method also works well.
- The baking powder helps in rising the cake and allows the cake not to go flat, so use the mixer to mix the flour.
- Pour the batter over the sides of the prepared pan.
- Don’t over work with the batter or bang the pan on the counter, leave it as it is for couple of minutes it will level properly.
- In preheated oven bake at 430 F for 7-8 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Make sure you do not over bake your cake, because it will turn out to be dry instead of moist and spongy. At about 6 to 7 minutes check the cake with a toothpick in it to see if it comes out clean.
- If it is clean your cake is ready, if there are some batter or moistness in the stick bake another couple more minutes.
- Allow cake to cool for just a minute.
- Now peel off the thin layer on top of the cake as shown in step wise picture 1 below.
- This peeling makes the pineapple syrup sits well on the cake so don’t skip this step.
- Once done flip the cake onto another wire rack and peel off the parchment paper if used any.
- Let them cool completely meanwhile prepare the pineapple sugar syrup and whipping cream (refer stepwise pictures below).
How to assemble and decorate the Pineapple Pastry | Pineapple Cake
Heavy Whipping or Whipping Cream – 1 Pint (473ml)
Icing or Confectioners Sugar – 1/2 Cup (For Mild Sweet, you can increase the quantity)
Pineapple Slices – Few
Pineapple Syrup to soak the cake – 1/2 Cup (I made it at home (detail follows) you can use store bought syrup as well)
Pineapple Extract – 1/2tsp
- If the edges of the cake are a little hard you can trim them off and make equal proportion cake layers.
- I divided the sheet cake in to approx 5 inch width and 9 inch height (Pic 3).
- I have used the same pineapple stored juice and little more sugar say 2 tbsp and boiled it till all added sugar dissolved well (Pic 2).
- Once the syrup went to lukewarm brush it to each cake layer well.
- Place the first cake layer on a cake board, then add dollop of whipped cream (the cream should be soft and stop before it turning to hard stiff peaks) and top up with few pineapple pieces (Pic 3).
- Repeat the same for next layers and finally cover all over the cake with whipped cream (Pic 4).
- Decorate the cake as you wish (Pic 5) i used Wilton 1M tip to decorate.
- Before decorating a small tip i would like to share here, the soft consistency whipping cream wont hold it shapes for a long time, so i have added another few tbsps of icing sugar and beaten the remaining cream to stiff peaks, then added in the piping bag to decorate.
- Finally add some cherries over it (Pic 6).
- The cake tastes best when soaked well in syrup and refrigerated for a while say 5 to 6 hrs or overnight.
- Beat the eggs and sugar for no less than 15 minutes. It is during this stage that air is incorporated.
- It will be easy when you cut the sponge cake when it is cold.
- It is better if you prepare the cake a day before, wrap it in cling film and leave it in the fridge overnight. Also you can make it up to 3 days ahead.
- For 6 or 8 inch cake pan same 350 F works.