There is no meaning in saying Kongu foods without this Arisiyum Paruppum Sadham (Arisi Paruppu Sadam) recipe (In Tamil) which means Rice and Dal mixed one pot meal. Whenever I taste Ariseem paruppu sadam, it reminds my childhood days spent with cousins. We all gather on our very first day of vacation
in Mom’s hometown. When grandma asks what special to do, we all say arisiyum paruppu sadam with no second opinion. She makes fresh ghee from the butter collected on the same day, which accompanies well with this rice. aah the flavor still remains in my thought!!! We preferably have this rice for dinner with funny chats…the open place, fresh air, dull light, Bye Bye to noise pollution (can say candle light dinner :-)) makes the dinner delicious. Wow such a lovely memorable days. Those days never come, I wish I get that atmosphere again…
Arisi Paruppu Sadam Ingredients
Ponni Boiled Rice/Sona Masoori Rice – 2 Cups (Refer Notes)
Peanut Oil – 3 Tbsp (Recommended but use any type of cooking oil or butter/ghee)
Split Val Dal (Avara Paruppu) / Thattai Paruppu/Toor Dhal – 1 Cup OR 3/4th Cup of Dried Red Chori Cowpeas/Green Moong Beans
Onion – 1 Number (Large) or Shallot – 150grams
Green Or Red Chili – 2-3 Numbers
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves – Few
Curry Leaves – Few
Hing or Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Cumin/Jeera – 1.25tsp
Whole Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds – 3/4 tsp
Kaskas (Poppy Seeds) – 1/2 tsp
Garlic – 10 Numbers (Medium Size)
Ginger – Equivalent to Garlic
Shallot or Onion – 2 Numbers or Small piece
Curry Leaves – 4 to 5 Leaves (Optional)
Cinnamon – 1 Number (1.5 inch)
Cloves – 5 Numbers
Arisi Paruppu Sadam Preparation
- Soak Rice and dal for 30 minutes.
- Toor dal and other split dal doesn’t need separate cooking.
- But If using whole lentils, do soak at least 4 hours prior to making.
- Also cook the lentils halfway say 80% in pressure cooker to 3 hisses.
- Grind all the ingredients given below “To grind” and make a fine paste.
- First grind the dry ingredients to fine powder before adding onion, ginger and garlic.
- Heat Oil/butter temper mustard seeds followed by chopped onion, curry leaves, Turmeric powder , hing and then ground paste.
- When raw smell goes off and oil gets separated do add coriander leaves and mix it up.
- Finally add soaked rice in pressure cooker followed by spicy mixture.
- Now to this add beans and its cooked water(measure it and in total i used equal proportion of beans and rice 1.5 cups plus 1.5 cups so i used 4.5 cups water since the beans got cooked already.
- Adjust salt and if using toor dal or any split and uncooked dal 5.25 cups of water.
- Pressure cook it for 3 whistles or use electric cooker.
- Serve with Ghee/Curd/Pickle/Raw Onion/Egg/Okra Poriyal.
- If using whole Moong dal/Pasi Payir or Red Chori Bean/Karamani/Thattai Payir like dried beans / legumes soak 4 hours at least before cooking or overnight.
- Can use any type of rice, Raw rice like Basmati can be cooked directly and soak only the lentil. However soaking rice depends on the variety you use.
- Ponni Boiled Rice/Sona Masoori Rice – 2 Cups
- Peanut Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Val Dhal – 1 Cup
- Onion – 1 Number (Large) or Shallot – 150grams
- Green Or Red Chili – 2-3 Numbers
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – Few
- Curry Leaves – Few
- Hing or Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin/Jeera – 1.25tsp
- Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel Seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Kaskas Poppy Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic – 10 Numbers Medium Size
- Ginger – Eqvalent to Garlic
- Shallot or Onion – 2 Number or Small piece
- Curry Leaves – 4 to 5 Leaves
- Cinnamon – 1 Number 1.5 inch
- Cloves – 5 Numbers
Soak Rice and Dhal for 30 minutes.
Grind all the ingredients given below “To grind” and make a fine paste.
Heat Oil temper mustard seeds followed by chopped onion, curry leaves, Turmeric powder then ground paste.
When raw smell goes off add coriander leaves and mix this with soaked rice and dhal mixture.
Add salt and required water (1:2), pressure cook it for 3 whistles or use electric cooker.
Serve with Ghee/Curd/Pickle/Egg/Okra Poriyal.
1. If using whole Moong dhal/Pasi Payir or Red Chori Bean/Karamani/Thattai Payir like dried beans soak 6 hrs at least before cooking.
2. Can use any type of rice, Raw rice like Basmati can be cooked directly and soak only the dhal. However soaking rice depends on the variety you use.