Wow the final outcome was just amazing; really it was beyond my expectation. The fun continued again as I made the same cake for hubby’s colleagues. This time the checker board was so perfect, only I clicked the whole cake that too early morning before he starts to office, so got dull pictures. They all liked the cake very much, I asked to click the cake slices, so my H clicked in mobile and the pics were not clear .This month for baking partners challenge I got mail to make Neapolitan/nuts cake/plum cake. I don’t want to make a 3rd cake in a very short time so I asked Swathi the master brain, whether I can post this recipe, immediately she said ok, thanks
Swathi for agreeing n giving such a wonderful task. Also I thank Suja and Archana for your suggestions. After spending lot of time in making a perfect treat, I am here with well detailed recipe for you…Guys I assure this as
a fool proof recipe n give your try…
Can choose any egg based cake recipes, for step by step cake preparation hover the cursor over below appropriate recipe.
I adapted my princess cake recipe, here is the exact measurement…
Ingredients for Yellow Cake
APF – 2 and 1/4 Cups
Corn Starch Or Corn Flour – 5 Tbsp
Butter – 1 and 1/2 stick (12 Tbsp)
Powdered Sugar – 1 and 1/4 Cup (I used 1 cup only)
Baking Powder – 2 tsp
Egg Yolks – 5 Numbers.
Milk – 1 Cup or As Needed
Vanilla Essence – 2 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Choose any one from my below recipes to bake the basic chocolate cake, for step by step cake preparation hover the cursor over below appropriate recipe.
I choose chocolate fudge cake recipe n here is the exact measurement
All Purpose Flour( Maida) – 1 n 3/4 Cup
Butter – 1 n 1/2 Stick (12 Tbsps @Room Temperature)
Powdered sugar – 1 Cup
Almond Powder – 4 Tbsp (Optional)
Cocoa Powder – 5 Tbsp (1/3 Cup)
Eggs – 5 No.
Salt – A Pinch
Baking Powder – 2 tsp
Milk – 1 Cup or as needed
- Initially I baked 2 layers of chocolate cake in a batch with 2 round cake pans and then baked 2 layers of yellow cakes.
- For cake preparation, mix all the dry ingredients(Flour, all powders n salt) together.
- Cream butter and sugar, when turns fluffy, add one egg/yolk at a time, here is the pictorials for yellow cake preparation in detail.
- Gradually add dry ingredients n milk in batches, start n end with flour.
- Same steps for both yellow n chocolate cakes, Bake at 350°F for 20-22 mins or toothpick inserted at center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool using wire rack meanwhile prepare the frosting, recipe given below.
Best Chocolate Frosting/Chocolate Ganache/Glaze
Already I came up with many whipped cream frostings n decorations, so this time I just planned to make a chocolate frosting, first time I followed an version that was little gooey but tastes good and applied frosting in between (No need to apply frosting in between layers). Second time I tried the one given here, This is the perfect frosting I would say. The frosting sets quick n applying over the cake is also hassle free. I got the recipe from here and halved it.
Nestle Dark Chocolate Chip/Morsels – 8oz (3/4th of 10oz packet is enough for frosting 3 layers)
Heavy Whipping Cream – 1 n 3/4th Cup
- In a sauce pan place morsels n heavy cream over low heat(Pic 1), stir constantly.
- When chocolates melted n combined well(Pic 3), keep stirring until gets thickened.
- This may takes 20-22 mins(low heat) to get the rolling boiling consistency (Pic 4)
- When you reached rolling boil then increase the flame to medium and keep on stirring for another 3 mins, the final consistency should be as shown in picture 5.
- Allow to cool in room temp for 15 mins n then refrigerate for 2 hrs to set.
- For first 15 mins once (2 times) give a stir.
- Check the frosting consistency by applying over the cake like in below pictures.
Main Cake Assembling
- Can arrange four layers cake too but I layered only 3 and remaining one I made cake pops for the kids 🙂
- Just mark two inner even circles over the cake using any plastic bowls or bottle caps (Picture 1).
- When you assure it as correct measurement then press/punch it gently to get 3 layers from single cake.
- Interchange the colors as shown in Picture 2.
- Can trim the topmost/center bulge for even layer like I did in (Picture 2 white plate).
- While stacking the cake, first bottom it with brown outer circle, then yellow outer cake, finally brown likewise (Picture 3).
- Apply frosting(Pic 3 n 4) n refrigerate at least 30 mins to set.
- Serve chilled.