Today’s Basic Omapodi Kaara Sev Recipe is a very easy snack can have as it is (plain) or goes well with Indian snack items like Mixture/Bhel Puri/Masala Puffed Rice/Misal Pav etc. This can be done very quicky but needs the special murukku achu/sev press to make this tiny savory strings :-). Now I am frequently making this sev at home as my kids love this a lot…
Besan/Gram Flour – 2 and 1/4 Cup (For 1 Cup of Besan 1/4 cup of rice flour is approx)
Rice Flour – 3/4th Cup
Red Chilli Powder – 2tsp or more
Butter – 3 Tbsp
Ajwain/Omam – 2tsp
Salt, Water n oil – As Needed
- Dry fry the ajwain with salt n powder it (see Note 1 & 3).
- Mix all the ingredients except water n oil(Pic 1) and now it turns to crumbled mixture.
- Sprinkle little water and form a soft/pliable dough as shown in Pic 2.
- While mixing due to more gram flour it sticks in hand so at last add 2tsp of oil n coat it.
- Heat oil for frying n make the achu/press ready, the exact press for omapodi is small holed as shown in the pic 3.
- Add the dough to the press and rotate in circular motion over the hot oil by keep pressing with your thumb finger.
- Within a min or 2 it cooks, flip n cook it for another minute(Pic 4).
- Drain in paper towel/tissue paper n when cooled completely store in an air tight container (See Note 2).
- Can be used with Farsan/Mixture/Puffed Rice/Bhel Puri/Misal Pav etc (will post those recipes in future)…
- If you are not making fine omam powder it sticks in the holes when u press, so other option is can add boiled water to the plain powdered ajwain and filter, use only the water to mix with the dough.
- This omapodi unlike Milagu kaara sev, no need to break while frying in the oil…
- I usually keep this omam powder in stock to add a pinch in kids food so if making it fresh for this snack (in small quantity) then add the fried omam with few rice flour in jar to blend well.