This is the first paneer recipe in my space, so I started it with
a heavenly Bengali dessert Rasmalai. Today I am here with why not to use half n half or
heavy whipping cream while making paneer/chenna. Only whole milk curdles with
lemon juice/yogurt/vinegar, whereas the ultrapasturised half n half or heavy
whipping cream does not work. If u add
even half a cup of those to regular milk that half n half remains the same n
never curdle. If any low fat milk is used u don’t get much paneer in that. So after
these experiments I am suggesting to go with Whole milk. Ras means Juice/Juicy
n Malai means milk cream in English. Actually I prepared this for Diwali with other
sweets n savories. So here is an eggless version of Rasmalai recipe from
Whole Milk/Full Fat Milk – > Little more than 1/3 gallon (1.5litres)
Lemon Juice – 2 Tbsp (Juice from one big lemon)
Yields – 12-15 Rasmalai
Homemade Paneer Making Method
- Bring the milk to boil and keep stirring in regular intervals to prevent sticking at bottom of the pan.
- When milk starts boiling, simmer it and allow to boil for another 5mins (keep stirring).
- Then add half of the lemon juice, stir well for a
- Keep stirring and if the whole milk curdles fully (Pic 1) and changes color, remove from flame.
- Filter using a muscin or cotton cloth (Pic 2), keep the whey water for making chapathi/pulkas (Pic 3).
- Run cold water over the paneer/chenna, to get rid of lemon taste.
- Squeeze the excess water and keep it in a plate and place a weight/water pan over the chenna for at least 30 minutes.
- This way removes the excess moisture (Pic 4).
- For adding it in gravy just press in square air tight container and refrigerate few hours, then make small squares and again store it till use…
Ingredients for making Rasmalai Rasgulla
- Now blend the paneer for few secs, this makes easy to roll (Picture 1).
- Now make round balls out of it n flatten as shown in Picture 2.
- Add 2 cups water + 1 n 1/2 cup sugar, Pinch cardamom powder n 1-2 saffron
strands (Optional) in a pressure cooker, I used saffron here to get yellowish
- Gently place the flattened rasmalai balls, cover n cook for a (single) whistle.
- After 2-3mins, run the bottom of the cooker under cold water, so not to
cook rasgullas for long time.
- You can serve this as it is with sugar syrup, this is none other than Rasgulla (Only the shape differs).
- Take the out, by this time it increases in size n squeeze the excess sugar
syrup as shown in picture 3.
Now prepare the malai/rabdi to soak the cooked stuffs.
For making Rasmalai
1 n 1/2 Cup half n half/Heavy whipping cream (or replace with 2 n 1/2 cup
Regular milk which takes time to get thicken)
Sweetened Condensed Milk – 1 Cup
Saffron – Few strands
Chopped Almond, Pistachio, Cashew nuts – 1/4 Cup
Sugar – Optional
Mix all type of milks, saffron n bring to boil.
Once thickens as shown in picture 4, add chopped/ghee roasted nuts in to it.
If needed add cardamom powder, adjust sugar at this time, put off the stove.
Add already prepared/cooked rasmalai balls to the rabdi/malai, rest it in room temp for 10-15mins n then refrigerate, serve chilled.
Rabdi can be prepared with regular milk n sugar too without adding condensed milk, but tastes great with condensed milk n I used fat free condensed milk here.