Hope you remember the Paruppu Keerai Kootu (dal curry) that I posted last month with manathakkali keerai sukuti keerai night shade greens/solanum nigrum . The same day I made this healthy rasam/soup with the addition of greens in our usual paruppu/dal rasam. My Kids love rasam but I make once in a week. Whenever I think to add healthy stuffs in their food some new ideas rise, that’s the reason behind the invention of this herbal soup also it tastes too good. Can finish your lunch with rice, this rasam and papad on lazy days 🙂
Tomato – 1 Number (Large Size and Well Ripened)
Chopped Manathakkali Keerai (Greens) – 1/3 Cup (Also Spinach Works)
Tamarind Juice – 1/4 Cup (Optional)
Cooked Toor Dal with water- 1/3 Cup
Slited Green Chili – 2 Numbers
Curry and Coriander leaves – One Fistful (Optional)
Salt and Water – As Needed
Turmeric Powder – 1/4tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4tsp
Oil – 2tsp
Hing/Asafoetide powder – 1/4tsp
Cumin – 1n1/2tsp
Pepper – 1tsp
Garlic – 4-6 Numbers
- Grind the raw ingredients like garlic, cumin and pepper.
- Mash tomato with extracted tamarind juice, i usually don’t remove the tomato skins, leave it as it is in the tamarind juice.
- Also add cooked and mashed dal with it.
- Heat Oil add Mustard seeds when it splutters add Hing, Curry Leaves and Green Chili saute well.
- Now add chopped night shade greens, salt and turmeric powder, saute till it leaves water (Pic 1).
- Add the ground garlic stuff, tamarind mixture, now adjust water and salt.
- When starts foaming garnish with coriander leaves and then remove from heat (Pic 2).