Today I am with a healthy spinach stuffed savory pie/Spinach Fatayer recipe. This recipe belongs to Middle East Food/Arabic bakes category. I prepared twice before posting here. This savory pies are perfect for evening snack/dinner, which can be served with warm soup. This Fatayer is definitely a keeper recipe and I will update better pictures later!!! This recipe is off to Priya sis (Home Bakers Challenge) hosted by Rafeeda.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Recipe Courtesy: Mideast Food
For the Dough
All Purpose Flour – 1 Cup
Salt – 1/2tsp
Vegetable Oil – 3 Tbsp
Water – 1/4 Cup
For the Spinach Filling
Fresh Spinach – 1/2 pound, finely chopped
Onion – 1 Medium Size , chopped
Lemon Juice – 2 Tbsp
Walnuts – 1/4 Cup , chopped (can use peanuts)
Vegetable Oil – 2tsp
Salt – 1/2tsp
Pepper – 1/4tsp
Ground Sumac – 1/8tsp (Optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Add oil and begin to knead dough.
- Once oil is absorbed, add warm water, Knead into an elastic dough.
- Shape dough into 2 inch diameter balls, cover and set aside.
- Wash spinach and soak in salted water while you chop vegetables. Rinse spinach and dry thoroughly with paper towel.
- Combine and toss filling ingredients.
- Place 2 teaspoons of filling in the center of each ball of dough (Pic 1).
- Cover filling with dough and form into triangular shape (Pic 2 & 3).
- Make sure you seal the sides properly, just pinch them with your fingers.
- Repeat for all remaining dough and arrange them in greased baking sheet (Pic 4)
- Preheat over to 425º F.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes and serve immediately.