Mango Muffin Recipe : I always wanted to add mangoes in baking. This Mango muffins is one such recipe where I used fresh mango puree in the muffin batter. This recipe is egg free, butter free and sugar free and has more wheat flour proportions. Also you canRead more
use canned mango puree or homemade preserves for this same recipe. If doing so just make sure you reduce sugar/dates in such case. Do check out the mango based baked goods link at the end of this post.
Things to remember
Generally Muffin batter is thick in texture compared to cupcake batter so keep the below points in mind
- Use thick yogurt or hung yogurt
- Add dates soaked water to prepare flax egg
- If there is any dry flour in the muffin batter do add yogurt to bring to right consistency
- However light traces of dry flour is fine
Know about ingredients
Corn Meal / Semolina
Addition of Mango puree yields a moist and dense muffins so to get good muffin texture use corn meal or semolina. Both are ingredients are generally coarse in nature. Use either one or both with total of 2 Tbsp for this recipe.
Yogurt is the main liquid ingredient for this mango muffin recipe which helps to rise muffins. I used homemade thick yogurt do replace it with hung or Greek yogurt and also it’s a best replacement for eggs
Flax Meal / Powder
In the beginning of this recipe experiments, I skipped flax egg and later I used it as an egg replacer along with yogurt. There was a significant texture difference before and after adding flax egg to the muffin batter so I recommend using it for this mango muffin recipe.
I used more proportion of plain wheat flour and the rest with all purpose flour for this recipe. If using all purpose flour alone then do reduce liquid content (yogurt).
Mini Chocolate Chips
The mini chocolate chips I used in the recipe were unsweetened and do chill them before adding to the muffin batter to prevent quick melting in the oven when it’s baking. Also you can use chopped chocolates instead of chips.
Mango Muffin Recipe Ingredients
All Purpose Flour – 3/4 Cup
Wheat Flour – 1.25 Cups
Fresh Mango Puree – 1 Cup
*Dates – 15 Numbers
Hot Water – 1/4 Cup to soak dates
Yogurt – 1/2 Cup (Plus 1-2 Tbsp to adjust batter consistency)
Oil – 1/2 Cup
Baking Powder – 1.75tsp
Baking Soda – 1/2tsp
Kosher Salt -1/4tsp
Cardamom Powder or Mango Flavor – 1tsp or rose essence
Mini Chocolate chips – 1/3 – 1/2 Cup
Ground Flax Seed – 2 Tbsp
Corn Meal and Semolina or either one – 2 Tbsp
*Replace Dates with Raw Cane Sugar – 1/2 Cup
Mango Muffin Preparation
- Soak dates in warm water for 15 minutes at least (Pic 1).
- Meanwhile gather all the other ingredients for this recipe.
- Lay muffin cup / baking cups in the muffin tin.
- Chill the chocolate chips so it won’t melt while baking.
- Powder whole flax seeds (pic 2) in food processor to fine (Pic 3) or use ground flax.
- In a mixing bowl soak corn meal, semolina, flax meal (Pic 4) with dates soaked water (Pic 5).
- Let it soak for 15 minutes, once done that is the flax egg mixture (Pic 6).
- Clean fresh mangoes , extract pulp and make fine puree in food processor.
- To the flax egg mixture (the one soaked with cornmeal and semolina, Pic 6) add mango puree (Pic 7) , Oil (Pic 8) and yogurt (reserve some).
- Use reserved yogurt to puree soaked dates (refer video tutorial).
- Now pour dates puree to the liquid mixture (refer video tutorial).
- Add mango flavor (Pic 9) and keep the liquid ingredients ready.
- Meanwhile mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl (Pic 10 & 11).
- Pour liquid ingredients (Pic 12) mixture to the flour mixture.
- Using spatula mix gently so that there is no trace of dry flour in the batter (Pic 13).
- Add chilled mini chocolate chips (Pic 14) and reserve some to top the muffins.
- Scoop out the batter and evenly distribute in all muffin cups (Pic 15).
- Top muffins with reserved mini chocolate chips (Pic 16).
- In preheated oven bake muffins @375F for 15-17 minutes.
- Let it cool and serve them (Pic 18).
- Excess can be stored in the refrigerator for later use.