cake crumbs and the other is as usual flour butter mixture for muffin topping. I have provided both here do check it out. The recipe says walnut muffins but you cannot see traces of muffins because usually I powder the nuts and add to the muffin batter. My little one is so picky, he doesn’t like any nut bites in his food, so always I prefer to powder and add. Now who knows these muffins are superb healthy with the goodness of wheat flour, apples, blueberries, walnuts and coconut sugar until you reveal :-)
I have given two options for the muffin topping, do pick your choice.
Streusel or Crumb Topping I
I have used leftover cake crumb mixed with butter and flour, the proportions are given below.
Leftover Vanilla Cake crumb - 1/4 Cup
Wheat Flour - 1/4 Cup
Cinnamom Powder - 1tsp
Melted Butter - 3 Tbsp
Brown Sugar - 2 Tbsp
Streusel or Crumb Topping II
Wheat Flour - 1/2 Cup
Brown Sugar - 1/4 Cup
Rolled Oats - 2 Tbsp
Chopped Walnuts - 2 - 3 Tbsp
Melted Butter - 4 Tbsp
The below picture is with topping II
Ingredients for the muffin batter
Whole Wheat Flour - 1 and 3/4 Cups (I use King Arthur Flour)
APF/Maida - 1 and 3/4 Cups
Dark Brown Sugar - 1.25 Cup (I used coconut sugar)
Powdered Walnuts - 1/2 Cup (You can use Almond or any other nuts here)
Baking Powder - 2tsp
Baking Soda - 1tsp
Salt - 1/2tsp
Apple Sauce or Homemade Apple Puree - 1/2 Cup (mine is homemade)
Eggs - 2 Large
Cinnamon Powder - 1tsp
Melted Butter - 1 and 1/2 stick (3/4th cup, 12 Tbsp but you can reduce 2 Tbsp)
Thick Buttermilk - 1 n 1/2 Cup (you may need few more tbsps for batter consistency)
Fresh Blueberries - 2 and 1/4 Cups
Vanilla Extract - 2tsp
I have few eggless muffin recipes with variations, click the below links
Nut Free Eggless Blueberry Muffins
Eggless Blueberry Oats Muffins
Egg Free Butter Free Blueberry Muffins
- Just mix the ingredients for crumb topping, it has to look crumb/coarse in texture and refrigerate till use.
- Coat/grease the muffin pan with oil or use paper liner and keep aside.
- Wash the blueberries, drain the water and coat them with 2 tbsp of All Purpose flour, keep aside Pic 1.
- In a wide mixing bowl add flour, powdered walnut, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder and salt mix very well and keep aside.
- To that mixture melt the butter and add it so the flour mixture looks crumbly as shown in picture 1.
- Beat the buttermilk (Pic 1), mine is homemade yogurt make sure it is not too thin/watery.
- Mix the wet ingredients like eggs, vanilla extract, apple sauce, dark brown sugar to the buttermilk (Pic 2).
- In 3 additions add yogurt mixture to the crumbly flour mixture, mix it well (Pic 3).
- If needed add buttermilk but muffin consistency should be thick and not runny like cupcake batter.
- Finally add the flour coated blueberries and fold it in the batter (Pic 4).
- Scoop the batter and drop in each muffin hole.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture that kept in refrigerator right now on each muffin.
- Place the muffin pan in preheated oven and bake at 375 F for 14-16 minutes, for pictures refer HERE.
- You will get nice aroma of the cinnamon and buttery crumb topping so that's the key when it is done.
- Also you can insert toothpick and check it it comes out clean then remove it from the oven.
- Cool them in the wire rack for 15 minutes at least then gently remove each muffin.