Make this authentic soft opputtu paruppu poli recipe, dal/lentil based poli for the upcoming festivals or to feast your guests…
Chana Dhal – 1 Cup Dark brown Sugar/Jaggery – 3/4th Cup All Purpose Flour/Maida – 1 Cup
Turmeric Powder and Salt – Pinch
Grated Coconut – 2-4 Tbsp (Optional)
Oil/Ghee – 1 Tbsp and more for rolling the poli
Opputtu Paruppu Poli Preparation
- Pressure cook chana dal for 2 hisses.
- Drain the water and allow to cool (Pic 2).
- Meanwhile mix all purpose flour, salt, turmeric powder and oil, sprinkle little water and make as chapathi dough (Pic 3).
- Leave it aside for 30 minutes (Pic 4).
- Grind the cooked dhal with jaggery/sugar to a fine mixture (Pic 5).
- Don’t make it too mushy, if so you can’t make balls out of it, just a little bit sticky poornam/filling is ok (Pic 6).
- Mix grated coconut (optional) and make round balls (Pic 7).
- Take the maida dough spread it with rolling pin to a thick/thin layer(Pic 8), keep the chana dhal ball in center of that(Pic 8) and cover it (Pic 9).
- Remove the excess dough (Pic 10).
- Gently spread to very thin layer(as much possible Pic 11 below).
- Heat dosa pan, apply ghee/oil and cook evenly till getting light brown spots (Pic 12).
- Today I forget to add turmeric powder, so here are few old pictures with turmeric.
- We usually have it with banana and tastes poli great the next day.
- I deep fried the covered poli as shown in the old picture below.
- I have used butter paper to stack the uncooked polis.
- The Chana dough should have some moist otherwise the balls will break while rolling along with Maida covered dough.
- Thin or thick polis depends on rolling it, so roll it according.